The can’t all be winners ** sigh ** The recipe seemed to have such potential too! My parents love going to Cracker Barrel for breakfast, and the hashbrown caserole there is one of their favorite dishes. My mom found the following recipe in a Secret-Recipies-Revealed type book, and wanted to test it out. We were hoping to discover a dish that would be perfect for a morning Bunco party, but sadly we only came up with this bland disaster.
How could you go wrong with potatoes, onions and cheese? I do not know… all I can recommend is that you do not attempt this dish, we didnt care for it enough to serve to friends. Also, it took forever to try to wash the pan we cooked it in. Boo.
Cracker Barrel Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 TBS butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Dash garlic pepper
- 1 package (30 oz) frozen country style shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups (8oz) shredded Colby cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, brother, 1 TSP butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir in hash browns.
- Heat remaining butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add hash brown mixture.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until potatoes are heated through.
- Stir in cheese.
- If desired, transfer to a greased shallow 2 quart baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Leave a Reply